On Apr 30, 2008, at 2:22 PM, Ron Fletcher wrote:

> I wish the modern-day R&B singers would take this to heart.  They
> never hold
> a note and sing every possible note around it instead!  My friends
> say it is
> merely interpretation and ornamentation.  I beg to differ...The
> twiddly-bits
> are for the instruments, not the voice!

Oh, now Ron...!  I too beg to differ.

I absolutely can't agree with you.  Aside from choral singers, and it
doesn't even include all of them, all singers embellish what they
sing.  Name one singer who would sound better if she or he sang just
the straight notes with no embellishment whatever.  Who would you
choose from?  Opera singers, pop singers, folk singers, jazz singers,
minstrels, Baroque singers, Romantic singers, gospel singers, R&B
singers, blues singers etc., etc., etc.?  Not to mention Mongolian
throat singers, Chinese, Japanese, whatever singers.  The list is
virtually endless.  They all embellish according to the requirements
of their music.

Some nervous deconstructionists might regard the term "classical
training" as a process of washing out anything but the written notes,
but even in the world of "classical" singing there's a lot of
stylistic ornamentation and embellishment going on.

Best,

David R
[EMAIL PROTECTED]