Daniel,

these general rules can only be applied for single note runs, which are not normally a problem. When playing more than one voice ("chords"), the fingering depends on what is before and after the chord.

The best solution, obviously, is a teacher. It might however be difficult to find one depending on where you live. Unfortunately, I am not at all familiar with beginner's lute tutors. I remember however, that I had lots of easy lute pieces in my guitar scores, in the old tuning and with very good fingerings. If you cannot find such fingered music, you'l have to figure out yourself, which may be a bit frightening first, but is in fact not impossible. You do want to have smooth movements and avoid stretches if possible. This is what Mathias means, leaving one finger out helps in keeping the left hand relaxed.

I could finger a few pieces for you, if you send me a scan.

Gernot