Tony
I did not even look at my lute (although I did begin to eye my antique plane http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Hoevl.jpg) I was simply considering the fret gut diameters suggested by Martyn and those on my lute (which are close to those Lundberg's average). As Martyn seemed to be saying, smaller upper frets should allow lowering the strings at the nut. However, perhaps as you imply, it might also call for the lute to be set-up specifically for that. I was, as usual, dreaming of the ideal lute that had such a perfect action that you barely have to twitch your fingers to be able to play, the secret of Dowland's great mastery of the lute, revealed.
Regards
Anthony