Thanks Antonio.

So, allow me to simplify things, at least for my own benefit, and forgive me
if I over simplify. I'm just thinking out loud...

The vihuela de mano was created in Valencia and found its way to Naples
where it became popular, more popular than the lute. Some Italian makers
started making their own version which they called the viola da mano.
Eventually there emerged two apparently distinct types, Spanish and Italian.
The Italian version seems to have kept the classic viol shape with deep
indents on the sides, while the Spanish version smoothed out the sides, as
with the Raimondi drawing, or the figure of eight, almost classical guitar
shape of Milan's book. Both types were used in Italy, either imported or
copied, and the Spanish types were referred to as Spanish lutes or lyras.
Isabella d'Este asks for a Spanish type, and, importantly, insists on it
being made from ebony.

Although there seems to have been a distinction in the physical aspects of
the Italian and Spanish viola/vihuela, the repertoire could be played on
either instrument.

The Borgias, being originally Spanish, were important in spreading the
popularity of the vihuela/viola to Rome and the northern states. Francesco,
therefore, did not need to live in the South to come across the viola. His
1536 book mentions the viola before the lute: *Intavolatura de Viola o vero
Lauto*. It was printed in Naples where the viola was most popular. This
raises the possibility that Francesco did NOT play the viola, but its name
was given chief prominence in order to boost sales in its area of
publication...? However, it is certainly possible that he DID play the viola
alongside the lute early in his career, but dropped the viola when it
declined in popularity in favour of the lute.

Two Neapolitan viola da mano players, Dentice and Severino, were active in
both Italy and Spain, and their works could be added to the canon of vihuela
literature.

OK?

Rob