Anthony,

I am afraid you over interpreted my statement. Actually I wasn't really 100%
serious writing it - maybe half serious.....or so. But obviously there is
some truth in every joke. How can we say things for 100% if we lack
convincing evidence? As I said we have variety of strings at our disposal,
we have technologies that were unconceivable for the old ones and whether we
use them or not is a matter of taste I suppose. I may like plain gut,
somebody else may prefer loaded strings.....fine! Let's make music! The
public will asses what sounds good. But we should make a living music of our
days (don't get me wrong again - I am not saying that the history doesn't
matter, no, no). This is however not a museum of the dead music - musical
fossils. We use the new historical findings to make us aware of how this
music could really sound some hundreds years ago, but I think this is not a
musical attitude to see somebody's performance only in a historical context.
We have only hypothesis now. So presumably someone believes that the loaded
strings really existed. But what will happen if somebody else proves they
never ever existed? Shall we classify somebody's performance as not HIP and
in consequence not worthy listening? As an example do listen to Magdalena
Kozena singing Haendel aria "Oh! Had I Jubal's Lyre" and then interpretation
of the same piece by Victoria de los Angeles (both on Youtube). One is more
or less historically correct the other not so. But what would you like to
listen to? Probably each one of us would answer differently. And this shows
that historical correctness is not the most important factor in music making
(I stress it - not the MOST important). This is why I said - let's make
music!!!
Now, back to the strings. I really have a big esteem for people that make a
painstaking efforts in order to recreate the facts from the past.
Nevertheless many questions still wait for answering. Meanwhile I wouldn't
hesitate to get the best sounding strings for my lute. And this "BEST
SOUNDING" probably will mean something different for each of us.

Best wishes

Jaroslaw