I'm surprised no one has mentioned Liz Kenny's interesting article on the
English lute song and continuo air.  Particularly relevant to this thread is
that she suggests, quite rightly in my view, that printed lute song tablatures
ought not be regarded like modern urtext editions and that many lutenists,
especially professional players, would have added/arranged the accompaniments
to suite their individual tastes.

MH