Thank you very much for sharing your experience and know-how.
How interesting the analogy to the mirror and the idea of recording
phrases.

I use a number of practice techniques that I have picked up over the years.
Difficult pieces I practice backwards; isolating the cadences
and playing the last measure, then the penultimate measure to the end; then the measure before; and any mistake stops me in my process until it is perfect. In this way one might be tentative at the beginning of a piece, but as each measure is played I am more confident and the ending cadence
is assured to be perfect.

This doesn't really fit into using the recorder in practice sessions; unless one uses it just for those difficult passages as you suggest. I'm attempting to discover a technique of incorporating the recorder into my practicing and
your suggestions are very helpful.

A while back you contributed a great deal to the discussion of recording equipment and I copied all that information as an aide memoire. But for now I'm very happy with my ZOOM for its' simplicity and ease of use.
Equipment is not the most important thing after all.

Damian

When I was starting to play recital (think 70s) I used the recorder (in this case, tape) occasionally as a reality check--horrible as it may be--
and also as a way to learn pieces for concerts.

I would memorize the piece, which is absolutely essential as a paradigm--that is, you need to know one piece in each genre--the
recording would tell me honestly if I could really play it.
After you have learnt the paradigm, when you play from music, the
internal gears are engaged.

In the renaissance, the saying was, let the mirror be your guide. So
it is sort of a musical mirror,
In the renaissance, they used caves and wells, which apparently works perfectly, but only for short phrases. So to learn it historically,
learn phrases, record them, and play them back.
It is a different feeling than doing the whole piece.

Incidentally, I recommend the Fostex FR2LE. It is a professional recorder.

Best
dt