On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 11:30 AM, "Mathias Rösel"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "David Tayler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
>> We know that continuo players often played with the treble players
>> before the bass entrance because of the many examples of figures in
>> the colla parte parts.
>
> How will you know what they actually did? That aside, colla parte means
> colla parte, i. e. you play with the others' parts. That's not exactly
> continuo, I should say.

The figures in these openings tend to be very precicely decribing what
the voices above are doing. So it's not continuo as in 'play what you
like within these figures', but a shorthand for the voice leading of
the upper voices. That's how I interpret them, anyway. Don't mess too
much in openings of fugues, is my motto.

David