I might have missed something here, getting into the discussion late
(I rejoined today---hellew everyone), but doesn't the English word
"tocsin" refer to the pealing of a bell?  I always thought "tocsin"
came from an old form of French.  Could some form of the word have
existed in French in the 17th century with a similar meaning?  Used
perhaps in similar sense to Vallet's piece depicting bells in a
village church.

Davidr
dlu...@verizon.net