Yes, but like the scene created in real life, there are many things going on, of which the tocsein is but one. So the fact that the recurring 'gongs' don't occur on accented beats doesn't mean anything. It's all part of the structured chaos of the scene of say, a fire, where people are running here and there. Nonetheless the tocsein is present throughout. 'le cabriolet' is about a rollicking cab ride through paris; 'la poste' rhythmically creates the rhythm of a galloping horse, but the drama unfolding is the journey; from departure to arrival
à la fin.

Damian

Anthony Hind wrote:

Having just discussed the tempo of "La Cascade", with a friend who argued that it should not be too slow or you could lose the 'mimetic' cascading effect, I rather supposed "le tocsein", as a "gigue", might
contain a mimetic rhythmic element.

However, I just had a message from Jean-Daniel Forget on this subject: First he tells me, le tocsein, is the sound of a single bell struck rapidly: about two forced beats per second (according to the length and size of the clapper), giving a monochord sound that immediately draws attention. This was exactly my impression, and it reminds me
that I have heard it in several French films.

Then J-D, suggests that the evocative element, if there is one, would not be a direct reference to the rhythm of the tocsein, but should rather be looked for in terms of the tocsein as a (metaphoric) reference to "sentiments amoureux", possibly the palpitating heart- beat ("batant la chamade") of the lover thinking of his "belle", or
of the alert of the cuckolded lover.

(J-D goes on to give an example of an expression "prescieux" using the term 'tocsein', but saying (in an appropriately "prescieux"
manner) he would prefer not refer to the quotation that Pierre
Desproges attributed to Cardinal de Richelieu, when complimenting the beauty of a "dame de la cour" : "Madame, si ma robe était de plomb,
vous entendriez sonner le tocsin !").
Madame, if my robe was made of lead, you would still hear "sonner le
tocsin".

"J'ai toujours pense, en jouant ces pieces, que la reference va plutot vers un sentiment amoureux et doit être cherchee dans la Carte
du Tendre
(comme dans presque toutes les pieces de cette epoque, d'ailleurs) ;
par exemple, ce pourrait etre le cœur battant la
chamade de l'amoureux pensant a sa belle ou l'alerte de l'amant
trompe! (Je me garderai bien de faire reference a la
citation que Pierre Desproges attribuait au Cardinal de Richelieu
faisant compliment a la beaute d'une dame de la cour :
"Madame, si ma robe etait de plomb, vous entendriez sonner le
tocsin !")."   J-D

J-D, however, then goes on to say that without the presence of a
text, all speculation is possible.
Anthony