On Jan 13, 2009, at 12:02 AM, sterling price wrote:

> ...For me, after playing a 13 course for many years, I wouldn't
> dream of playing an instrument that didn't have an octave of open
> bass strings.

In some music I've been playing recently (Losy, Lauffensteiner) which
was written for 11-c, I'm very glad to have that open B-flat
available on my 13-c.  It does make life a lot easier.  The voice of
dissent on that point, however, seems to be that some players prefer
to play the French-styled repertoire on the lighter-sounding 11-c
instrument.

> ...it certainly doesn't deserve the reputation it has.

That's for sure.  There seems to be some kind of mystique that
surrounds the Baroque lute, created in part I think by renaissance
players who find themselves swimming in very different waters when
they play Baroque music.  The music itself, the technique, the tuning
and the instrument itself are a different world than that of
renaissance lute.

Actually, the only lutenists I've ever heard complaining about, or
shying away from, that "decadent, late-period" Baroque lute came from
the ranks of renaissance players.  From the players I've met who have
played only Baroque lute (not many, admittedly), I've never heard a
complaint, no matter how hard the music was.

>   I think the 13 course lute is a remarkable achievment the result
> of many centuries of progression. To continue to label it as it had
> been in the 18th century til now as something -so- difficult is
> really 'bad for business'.

I think 18th-century music in general is a difficult proposition.  It
seems to me to have been misunderstood for a long time, first by the
Romantics, then by academia.  In our post-post-post-ultrapost-modern
perception today, perhaps we are making some progress towards a more
syncretic understanding of Baroque music.

Davidr
dlu...@verizon.net