On Jan 28, 2009, at 4:19 PM, <dem...@suffolk.lib.ny.us> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009, Jean-Marie Poirier <jmpoiri...@wanadoo.fr> said:
>
>> I believe "feather" is a technical term in rowing and in this case
>> would mean something like "dig". But I may be totally wrong of
>> course ;-) !
>
> rather the opposite, one feathers an oar by twisting the wrists
> during the
> recovery stroke making the blade parallel to the water so it wont
> dig in.

So, erm...what's that got to do with Baroque ornamentation?

David Taylor's expression "feathering them in," referring to certain
kinds of ornaments, is a bit vague, but might have the connotation of
touching the music very lightly with the ornaments.  At least,
"touching something very lightly" is one definition I read for
"feathering" as a verb.  Only DT knows for sure...

David R
dlu...@verizon.net