On Wed, 28 Jan 2009, Herbert Ward wrote:

>> The
>> width of the central peak ... increases as
>> the interval decreases, but I could not come up with any simple mechanism
>> that would shift the maximum of the curve noticeably.
>
> I verified this experimentally.
>
> In other words, determining frequencies with shorter time intervals in Fourier
> analysis is like reading a speedometer whose needle get wider -- you're
> OK if you use the middle of the needle as the "hotspot".

I'd say it's more like standing still for half an hour, then going 100
miles per hour for the next 30 minutes, and arguing in court that you do
not deserve a ticket because your average speed was 50 miles per hour.

Stated differently, I am not sure that our brains can associate a unique
pitch with a sound that has lasted for only 0.1 sec any more than you can
by looking at the power spectrum obtained by Fourier analysis.

Peter.

the next auto-quote is:
We lock up our poor, our uneducated, our unruly, our unstable and our addicted,
where other countries provide treatment, mental hospitals and care.
(Jesse Jackson Sr.)
/\/\
Peter Nightingale                  Telephone (401) 874-5882
Department of Physics, East Hall   Fax (401) 874-2380
University of Rhode Island         Kingston, RI 02881