On Feb 3, 2009, at 3:47 PM, Eugene C. Braig IV wrote:

> That may be stretching Darwin's intent a little far.
>   Consider the continued
> popularity of Segovia amongst the masses, perhaps one of the most
> inflexible
> pluckers in the recorded history of pluck.

Perhaps I'm thinking of "evolution" in a different way.  I think the
20th-C guitarists did a great deal, individually, to further the
evolution of the classical guitar back in their day, by placing
certain demands upon individual luthiers, adapting their own personal
techniques to suit modern concert halls etc. etc.

> Darwin recognized that
> individuals don't adapt.

Well, Darwin non-dis-irregardless, individuals do adapt.  Inasmuch as
the lute revival has evolved from the way it was in the 60's to the
way it is now, that's got to be a function of individuals adapting to
fresh ideas, different approaches.

> That's the role of populations, and diverse
> populations tend to be able to adapt more quickly in the face of
> change.

Seems to me that populations change;  whereas individuals adapt.
Diverse populations change more quickly, bringing about new
conditions to which each individual must adapt or be left behind.

DR
dlu...@verizon.net