Van: E. Agulló [mailto:eagu...@wanadoo.es]
Verzonden: zaterdag 31 januari 2009 22:59
Aan: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Onderwerp: [LUTE] Jean-Baptiste Besard

Hello,

        I've read a bit from "Oeuvres pour luth seul de J.-B. Besard"
 Edition CNRS ). I find this music interesting and I think that I will
continue with my reading.
  A fast search on the web, gave almost no CDs with Besard's lute pieces.
Only a few dances in collective programmes, but it seems that nobody has
made a whole Besard recording.

    Is anybody from this list familiar with this composer ?
In the preface of the book there is a study "Sur la musique de Besard"
 written by André Souris ): he explains with examples that the writing of
Besard is sometimes very "anarchic", with strange jumps of octave ( and this
happens on the upper voice, the "superius" ), chords offbeat, parallel
fifths, dissonances without resolution, etc.

    What do you think of all this ?
I see in the ( complex, virtuoso ) tablature that he was a great
professional of the lute. This is not a bad work made by a beginner or an
amateur.
   Then, can we think of errata in the printing of the tablatures ? Or
perhaps he played several pieces with a secret scordatura ?

    I find everything intriguing. If anybody has read carefully this music,
and has worked on it ( for recital, or studio recording, etc ), I would like
to know his/her point of view.
  A last question: It seems that Besard was an appreciated composer in his
time ( his pieces were copied in manuscripts preserved nowadays in several
libraries )...how is possible that nobody programmes his music today ?

    Thanks for your attention,

       Eduard V. Agulló