Dear Anthony, What is your evidence for the supposed practice of loading strings? We have to discount paintings entirely. Unless you are talking about a deliberate contrast, like a violin with a silver g string, paintings are interesting only as paintings. Painters, even of this period didn't trouble themselves about loaded strings or exact string thicknesses. Proportion was all that was important, and it seems to me that proportion is properly observed in the paintings in question.

We went over all this last June. I can't imagine why you keep trying to revive this dead horse, unless you need to feel that the strings you are using are truly historical. If you like the way they sound, then play them and enjoy. But I really think the evidence
for such a string having existed at any time is at best, weak.

Damian

Dear Damian, Alexandern, Andreas and All

I forgot to add, that I do think that the use of lute extensions, such as the longer "Dutch" lute types, could have been an alternative
to using loaded strings.

Indeed, these lutes could be the lutemakers response to the
contradictory need both for long basses and short stopped string
lengths.
As I understand it, the strings remain more or less the same
thickness accross the basses, with a step in length to compensate for what would otherwise call for an increase in thickness. While the stopped strings can remain manageably short. According to Stephen Gottllieb this actually works well, and the basses are quite loud.

However, loading would be the string maker's response to the same problem, allowing them to keep the same core size across the basses
but to apply a step-up in density to compensate for the stable
thickness. Thus also keeping a relatively short stopped string length.

The two approaches would have stemmed from a similar thought process.

In both cases, we keep a relatively manageable short stopped string length: the step-up in length, or in density, are sort of two sides of the same sort of reflection, but within the technical scope of the two different trades. I find this quite convincing, thinking that the theory must have already been there in the observations in Galileo's father's work on pitch and tension of lute strings, as well as his
own on the pendulum.
Although at a much later date and about demifilé, this is more or less the way Claude Perrault sees the behaviour of loaded strings,
"Ouvres de Pysique" , Amsterdam 1680
http://www.aquilacorde.com/perrault.jpg

As Mersenne quoted by David Taylor "gives 20 seconds as the ring length (of bass strings) which is longer than the Pyramid strings
ring on my lutes."
and Andreas Schlegel some time back remarked that Francesco Lana Terzi 1686, mentiond the use of silk basses; while Alexander says he has successfully made such loaded bass strings, I suppose these are also a plausible alternative, or could have coexisted with loaded gut. I believe silk strings do have much greater sustain, although I don't
know how damping through loading may effect this.

Perhaps, Alexander can inform us on that.
Regards
Anthony