Dear Edward,

The answer is that we are really not certain if strings were loaded, and
there is evidence showing they were, as well as evidence to the contrary.
Until we have definitive answers, we do not know what was used.

I agree with you absolutely. As the lute players we choose the type of strings that make our lutes sound best (personaly, I use some different types as well), however we do not know what was used in past for sure. This subject needs a broad discussion, however it is a pitty that we can not hear the voices from the other side too.
Best regards
Jaroslaw