For me, it not much of a problem with higher action. it not like i'm going to use 5cm frets :-D I have 0.60mm fishing wire, but it looks very very thin, should I try with that too? and how?

I'm still not sure how to handle the nylon "frets" I have. But I will try some of your recommendation tomorrow. perhaps today. I'm playing Fallout Tactics too much.

I also think gut is much better, but I don't have extra until May.
On Mar 18, 2009, at 10:24 AM, Martyn Hodgson wrote:

  Not really true that thicker frets have 'no drawback' - the use of
  thinner frets (but still graduated by the same amount from lowest to
highest) allows the lute to be set more 'fine' than with thicker frets
  ie the distance required to depress the string to the fingerboard is
less. Conversely, if one so desired, the use of even thicker frets (but
  still with the same amount of overall graduation) would result in a
very significant increase in the distance required to depress a string
  and concomitant difficulties of execution.

  MH
  --- On Wed, 18/3/09, damian dlugolecki <dam...@teleport.com> wrote:

    From: damian dlugolecki <dam...@teleport.com>
    Subject: [LUTE] Re: Hi guys, nylon frets...
    To: "Martyn Hodgson" <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>,
    lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
    Date: Wednesday, 18 March, 2009, 3:47 AM

The projection of the string is determined by the height of the nut
  and
     the holes in the bridge.  If the neck has a set or slight warp,
  thicker
     frets will be called for and that thickness will be determined by
  the
     projection of the strings.
I used to use much thinner frets but as Dan Winheld has noted, there
  is
     no drawback whatever to using thicker frets.
     Cordially,
     Damian
     Why don't you try a much thinner 9th fret (say 0.50mm) which not
  only
fits with Dowland's fretting advice (the principal historic source
  of
fret sizes) but would also enable you to have smaller lower frets,
  say
     down to 0.90mm and thereby set the lute 'fine'?
     MH
--- On Tue, 17/3/09, damian dlugolecki <[1] [1]dam...@teleport.com>