And if you have a more westerly inclination, there's also the LSA seminar in
Vancouver BC (Jul. 26 - Aug 1).

Guy

-----Original Message-----
From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf
Of Nancy Carlin
Sent: Friday, June 12, 2009 10:14 AM
To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [LUTE] Re: First lute advice

   There will be/already have been plenty of lutes at BEMF. The LSA has a
   booth and has sponsored a concert featuring up and coming lute players:
   Salome Sandoval
   Dieter Hennings
   Chris Wilke
   Chris is on the list, so perhaps he will make some comments on this.
   There are also a number of other lute events that are part of the
   fringe concerts, including a concert by LSA treasurer Garald Farnham's
   group The Goodpennyworths and by Tim Burris.
   Nancy
   At 08:03 AM 6/12/2009, dem...@suffolk.lib.ny.us wrote:

     On Thu, Jun 11, 2009, morgan cornwall <mcornw...@ns.sympatico.ca>
     said:
     >    Hello,
     >

     >    I am looking for advice on a first student lute
     hopefully you have a teacher to discuss this with, even if they
     mainly do
     guitar, cant hurt to ask, you never know.
     Not the first time this Q has been posed here, take some time to
     explore
     the archives.
     Dunno where you are in the world, your email address suggests
     canada.  The
     LSA (Lute society of america) has canadian resident members,
     Vancouver is
     weel represented as I recall.  LSA holds yearly week-long meetings
     in both
     eastern and western locations that move about each year, you would
     have a
     wonderful opportunity to see and perhaps even experience a wide
     variety of
     instruments by numerous makers.  the BEMF (boston early music
     festival) is
     another opportunity, on this week, jun 6-14.  Both music and makers
     wares
     are on the agenda ([1]www.bemf.org) doubt they have any lutes on
     hand, but
     the two local vendors (Von Heune Workshop, whatever Green is calling
     his
     business these days) are worth a visit if they arent exhibiting.

     Most of us started with classical guitar, and followed the borrowed
     lute/vihuealla repetoire to its original instruents.
     >    Number of courses:
     The design of a stringed instrument involves some compromises when
     it has
     a wide compass.  If you are playing in an ensemble the compass you
     need is
     usually restricted more than what is needed for solo work.  If you
     can
     afford them, it helps to have a variety of 6c lutes, each in a
     different
     size (bass in D, baritone in E, tenors in F, G, alto in a, treble in
     d)
     the Venere Quartet travels with numerous lutes, I believe they have
     a full
     set of six with duplicates - D,E,F,G,A,d.
     You want the ideal lute for now, one that lets you explore all the
     repetoire, well, thats asking a lot.  A 58-59cm G 8c does for many.
     One of the issues is facileness, quick passage work is most easily
     done on
     smaller instruments - you can get the effect by playing higher on
     the neck
     where the frets are closer.
     ANother issue is sound, low sonority is good in an instrument
     playing a
     supporting role in a low register, big body and longer strings for
     that.
     > It doesn't seem like there is a whole lot to be gained from going
     > to an 8 course lute.
     Ever hear Pete Seeger or Gordon Bok playing the twelve-string?  BIG
     Booming sound when you have low bass notes in full chords.
     >    Renaissance lutes
     >    seem to vary in scale length from 540mm to 670mm.
     its more thn that, the longer lengths go with lower pitches.  higher
     pitches go with shorter string lengths.  Stuff breaks when you dont
     do
     that.
     > With guitars, often the intonation suffers with shorter
     > scale lengths, is this true of lutes as well?
     lutes most often use movable frets, you can not only set the pitch,
     but
     use temperaments other than the 'equal temperament' most guitar
     frets are
     placed at.
     If the intonation of a guitar isnt right over the whole fingerboard
     you
     should leave it unbought in the store.  If an insturment has
     deteriorated
     to the point that it is become out of tune with itself there are
     aadjustments you can consider (neck tension rod adjustments if there
     are
     any) nut height, saddle height, repairs to the top bracing (if
     needed,
     could raise the bridge).
     On a lute, the conventional knot tying the string on to the bridge
     can be
     adjusted to raise and lower string height subtly.  The size of each
     tied-on fret is normally graduated over the fretboard to adjust the
     action
     at each fret.  Setting up for each instrument is a complex process
     that
     users as well as makers can muck with.
     >    When I look at pictures of lutes they look to be of a similar
     shape,
     >    but it's hard to tell if the body sizes are different.
     Body lengths, proportions, depth/section; all vary.  Some lute
     designs are
     simple, the body section is a half-circle.  Some are more complex, a
     flattened half circle is common on larger later instruments.  The
     european
     lute is typical of 'short necked' instruments, having room on the
     neck for
     8 or 9 tied-on frets; there are long-necked ones too (also seen in
     guitars, 10 frets on neck for some, 14 for others).
     More variety in body shape/proportions are known of than are
     commonly
     built for sale today; a few insturemnts have been thoroughly
     researched
     and plans made available, many more await investigation and
     publication.
     > is a shallower lute more comfortable to hold?
     possibly, this is a subjective thing, and a learned one for many;
     you will
     have to try it to see what works for you.  Historical lutes seen in
     paintings often have a thin cord (possibly an old string) running
     from a
     button on the endclasp to another button set into the neckblock, not
     stretched tight, but not loose either.  It is surmised that this
     string is
     hooked on a button sewn to the clothing.  Many modern lutenists find
     that
     his works, but we dont commonly wear outer garments at all (it has
     gotten
     much warmer over all now than in 1550); let alone ones festooned
     with
     buttons as was the style then.
     It is also surmised that the player took advantage of tables when
     playing
     seated in two ways, by resting the edge of the lute against the
     table you
     stabillize it, but you also sometimes gain a coupling of the sond to
     the
     space under the top of the table, amplifying the sound.  A lot
     depends on
     the table, how you positino the instrument, and how restive your
     tablemates are.
     >   Is the sharp edge of the lute top an issue?
     RH playing positions are enough different that I have never felt
     that to
     be a problem, and I have blood circulation issues enough to be
     sensitive.
     eacho fs is different tho, my arms are probably longer than yours as
     stand two meters tall.
     >    Number of ribs:
     >
     >    All of the student lutes I have looked at have either 9 or 11
     ribs.
     easier for the maker, each of those ribs is hand shaped and fitted
     to the
     ribs on each side.  More ribs, more work, more cost to you.
     Yew wood was valued for long bows, which England stockpiled from
     italian,
     french, and spanish sources (harvested from roman estates) as it
     could
     afford to, well into King Henry VIII's reign.  Demand for yew for
     weapons
     use declined as rapier and personal handguns gained favor and it is
     thought that stockpiles of cut yew became available to instrument
     makers.
     Yew is visually appealing and has good qualitys for sound
     production,
     numerous instruments survive with yew backs as well as figured
     sycamore
     and maple.  Unfortunatly, it seems as if the wood available was all
     limited in width, suggesting it was from bow-stave stock.
     Douglas Alton Smith has written a history of the lute, available
     from
     several sources online.  Galpin Society Journal and the Journals of
     the
     Lute Society of America and the Lute Society are good reading for
     one
     interested in lute design and construction, seek them at a
     university
     music library (or JSTOR).
     --
     Dana Emery