On Jul 15, 2009, at 1:34 PM, Orphenica wrote:

My idea, as Ukuleles are quite small an robust, to me they seem to be a perfect
instrument for travelling.

About a thousand years ago when I went on the obligatory American student summer tour of Europe with backpack and Eurailpass, before I'd taken up lute, I did precisely what you are contemplating. My playing (Valderrabano?) greatly impressed a six-year-old Spanish girl on the train out of Barcelona, so don't let anyone tell you a ukulele isn't a babe magnet.

are there any good recordings?

I was impressed with:

Tabulatures de Guiterne
 Michael Craddock, renaissance guitar