On Sep 25, 2009, at 11:47 AM, Mark Probert wrote:

It seems, to my naif ear, that the composers don't really understand the
lute and how it works.  Given the intervals and the tonality, why not
just play this stuff on a guitar?

Why not indeed! Speaking for myself, I expect a certain type of sound from the lute, that I want to consider "historical", and when I don't hear that sound the lute can seem out of place. Your ear may not be as "naif" as you think. I can easily hear guitar in those pieces.

Please don't take me for a Luddite that is lost in the 16thC:  it just
ain't so.

I don't think one needs to be a Luddite in order to place the lute in a historical context. Not that it has to be imprisoned there, but we choose our battles: for some it's New Music On The Lute, for others it's Weiss, or Dowland, or whatever. Me, I'm lost in the 17th- century lute at this point (but that can change...).

Best,

DavidR