     From: Daniel Shoskes <kidneykut...@gmail.com>
     Subject: [LUTE] The under-appreciated Jaques de Saint Luc
     To: "lute" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Saturday, 28 November, 2009, 19:33

      I've been sight reading through the collected works of Jaques St.
   Luc
      and I'm really surprised that he is not better known, or at least
      better represented in the recorded lute literature. Other than the g
      major chaconne and Stephen Stubbs' single CD (tantalizingly called
   Vol
      1), there's very little out there (also some successful classical
      guitar transcriptions). A few things have impressed me:
      1) the shear volume of surviving music (close to 300 pieces)
      2) the variety of styles. In addition to typical baroque dance suite
      movements, there are heavy serious contrapuntal works of significant
      technical difficulty as well as light programmatic music including
      "grand entrances" for royalty, late Renaissance style Branles, folk
      tunes, settings of theatre music and military battles.
      3) this is IDEAL music for baroque lute beginners. It's always a
      challenge to find music to start with because most Weiss is too
      technically difficult and French style brise music is a major
      interpretive chore. St. Luc has many pieces that are simple for both
      hands and musically interesting enough to want to play for others.
   It's
      also all playable on a 11 course lute, although many basses could be
      lowered for simplicity on a 13 course.
      4) the style fits in a narrow time period. There are no elements of
      Brise (unlike such contemporaries as Reusner and Conradi) but it
   lacks
      the harmonic sophistication of Weiss or even Kellner. Probably the
      closest I could compare to would be Losy, whose surviving output is
      much more limited.
      Here are some examples:
      Chaconne: [1][1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYPJ30TFObY
      Suite in D Major, ending with another chaconne:
      [2][2]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHrmyuXjqVk
      [3][3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doFwL7huJic
      [4][4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gHz0fCvACc
      [5][5]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nc6nCGPCx8
      BTW, in addition to some files by Doug Towne on the Fronimo site,
   the
      complete works are available in a version from Christian Lauermann
   from
      Seicento Editions.
      Daniel Shoskes