Sent: Friday, December 11, 2009 8:56 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: OT: microintervals in rock music

Dear Arto (and others interested),

The bending of strings is actually quite common in many forms of guitar-based pop- and rock music. Most of the time, the 'target note' is a multiple of a semitone higher -- i.e., the note is bent up a semitone, a whole tone, a tone and a semitone, etc. However, if players want their bends to have some kind of 'wailing' quality to them, they often bend tones slightly higher or lower than these fixed intervals, and I think this is exactly what is happening in the Alice in Chains song. I'm quite sure AiC don't use microtones intentionally.

Just my impression - I hope I'm not stating the obvious!

Best wishes,
Reinier

----- Original Message ----- From: "Arto Wikla" <wi...@cs.helsinki.fi>