>    I also offered the opinion that posing with her theorbo(?) implied in
>    England at the time (I translate), "I'm hip, I'm serious, and I can
>    play with the boys,"

The inigo Jones productinos were largely at court for the court, and
should not be taken as typical of the London Playhouse atmosphere, where
women were not generally seen on stage, and I suspect not in the pit
either.  Such women as frequented the Globe and other playhouses are
likely to have been mistresses at best I would think.

Thankfuly the subject was upper crust and comfortable at court; not at all
typical of women of lower station in that time.

As she seems to have been fond of long-necked beasts, she may also have
had other musical skills, wyres, virginals, perhaps a wind or two; and
also very likely voice.

Needlepoint was of course expected, as was household & estate management.

A search in the online archives
(http://www.british-history.ac.uk/Default.aspx) might bring up records of
interest, women are not often mention in deeds and such, but cant hurt to
look.

--
Dana Emery