Agricola wrote:

"... heard a 'Lautenclavicymbel' in Leipzig in about 1740, designed
by Mr. Johann Sebastian Bach and made by Mr. Zacharias Hildebrand,
which was smaller in size than a normal harpsichord but in all other
respects similar. It had two choirs of gut strings, and a so-called
little octave of brass strings. It is true that in its normal setting
(that is, when only one stop was drawn) it sounded more like a
theorbo than a lute. But if one drew the lute-stop (such as is found
on a harpsichord) together with the cornet stop, one could almost
deceive professional lutenists."

I think we have to take this with a large pinch of salt - like you
say, modern reconstructions of lautenwerks sound exactly as you would
expect - like a gut-strung harpsichord with leather plectra.

Andrew