Bruno,

    It doesn't refer to chords.  He uses "arpeggiare" specifically to indicate
a melodic ornament ("tirate o passagi") played by alternating i and m over
another part played by the thumb.  Piccinini uses the word "pizzicata" to
indicate broken chords.  He goes into some detail explaining how to do this on
the chitarrone and his advice is similar to Kapsperger's.  Interestingly,
Piccinini tells us something about both instruments when he says that in fast
pieces, one should play chords on the chitarrone "as on the lute, namely in a
single blow."

Chris