Hello All,
   I believe I'm the one that Dan refers to below about the link to the
   guitar case being thrown off a building and the guitar (actually an
   acoustic, non-solid body guitar) surviving intact.  Below is my
   original post from last August.  The name of the company is CaseXtreme
   and the video may be seen at
   http://www.casextreme.com/newest_video.html.  I believe prices have
   risen since my original post, but the company now makes a special
   edition case in heat reflective white which would be better than the
   standard black.
   Again, I hope this information is helpful.
   Bill Eisele

Just before the LSA workshop at the Vancouver Early Music Festival I
   had a custom flight case made for my Kingham lute case by CaseXtreme in
   San Diego:  [1]http://www.casextreme.com/.  It's made with some kind of
   corrugated plastic and uses foam pads as cushioning on the sides and
   the bottom of the flight case.  The Kingham case is held in place
   against the pads with a strap and there's about an inch of space
   between the lid of the flight case and the Kingham case.  The case has
   two carrying handles and comes with detachable wheels.  All sides of
   the case are extremely rigid once the lid is closed and you can stand
   on the top without damaging the case.  The cost of the flight case with
   shipping was about $320.

   I checked the flight case through from Albuquerque to Vancouver
   (connection in Denver) and return (connection in San Francisco) with no
   problems  - four separate flights.  The lute inside was unscathed.  I'm
   not sure if it will fit through an x-ray machine, but if it does fit, a
   gate check would probably be the best way to go.  I just didn't want to
   haul it all over the airports before boarding.

   The flight case weighs about 12 pounds and it is oversized (37" L x 20"
   W x 15" D), but no one at check in required that I pay the oversize
   baggage fee.  It doesn't look as big as it actually is because of the
   trapezoidal shape rather than a rectangular shape.

   I have posted some photos of the flight case at Flickr:
   [2]http://www.flickr.com/photos/41330...@n03/.

   The owner of CaseXtreme, Bruce Lamb, is very helpful and he can be
   reached at 800-495-8444.

   FYI, I have no business interest in CaseXtreme.

   Hope this helps,

   Bill Eisele