> On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 8:02 PM,  <dem...@suffolk.lib.ny.us> wrote:
>> No way european music was going to be encountered in settlements in the
>> bights of benin or baifra, maybe some few on the island of Djakarta, but
>> during the time of slavery those places were mostly habited by slavers
>> and
>
> In the 17th and 18th centuries the Dutch

My point was that if we postulate a bringing together of african rhythm
and european music to produce american jazz, it would have had to have
happened on american shores where the slaves were brought.  plus, it is
unlikely to have been limited to new orleans - cuba, haiti, jamaica and
other islands of the caribbean  all have musics that are
african-influenced.

--
Dana Emery