To be honest, lute music is stuffed full of consecutive fifths.  You
   don't have to look far to find many examples much more obvious than
   this one.  The voice leading is usually pretty ropy too.  The 'Poulton'
   Lachrimae appears to switch between 6, 4 and 3 voices in the first two
   bars.  But then, they weren't writing in strict Palestrina style - and
   indeed, why should they?

   Interesting, incidentally, this business of solo versions of Lachrimae
   in two different keys.  How often does this happen?  I can think off
   the top of my head of Danyel's Rosa and Milano's Janequin Bataille.
   Why did people bother doing what is in effect a complete rewrite?

   The toughest criticism of Dowland came from Burney, nearly two
   centuries later, who was 'disappointed and astonished at his scanty
   abilities in counterpoint'.  Curiously, the music examples given by
   Burney don't actually include any lute music.