Graham, I had the same problem, so I switched to Andreas von Holst
and Klaus Jacobsen theorbos. The instruments balance so perfectly
that I can play without a strap if I wish.
Unfortunately, many instruments are simply not designed
ergonomically, although many of the originals are.
Basically, you want a combination of several things:
The veneer of the neck should be thinner all round, and thinner on
the non bearing side.
The neck should have a trapezoidal cross section
The pegbox should be very small
The core wood should be very light but resistant to bending and
changes in temperature and humidity--redwood is excellent for this.

Reneckingthe lute is an option, and you will play better with a
lighter neck. It isn't that hard to do--but building a light
replacement requires a bit of forethought.
Mine are also curved slightly backwards like a bow on the extended part.
If you are ever in California I hope you will feel free to drop by
and try out instruments here.

Best of luck,
dt