[Eugene C. Braig IV]
I do like what I've heard of the Sauli, but I've only heard one suite as
transcribed for modern Neapolitan mandolin (played by Carlo Aonzo) and have
never played those pieces myself.

For bass, I sometimes do without or play with a guitarist.  (I know, not
quite HIP, but there it is.  He actually has a 5-course guitar on the way.)
There is some music that works quite well without accompaniment, the
Sammartini sonata, e.g., with no more alteration than a bass note at
movements' closing cadences.

I think you're right that most people play this repertoire on these
instruments with plectra, but I believe that's because most people who come
to it do so via the modern mandolin as opposed to via lutes.  I also think
that's partly why you can't find HIP recordings of the Sammartini sonata;
there are pedal passages and occasional double stops that don't really work
with plectra.  In addition to only occasional passages like this, what
iconography there is of these things in the 18th c. appear to portray
players engaged in punteado play.

For Paul O'Dette's old Hyperion recording of Vivaldi's lute and mandolin
music with the Parley of Instruments, he played the mandolin concerti on
such an instrument using a plectrum, but he also played the lute concerto RV
93 and the two lute trios on a 4th-tuned mandolin using his fingers.  I
believe he played the E minor Arrigoni sonata on his recording with
Tragicomedia using his fingers, but one of the Scarlatti sonatas with
plectrum.

Ulrich Wedemeier recorded Hasse's mandolin concerto fingerstyle with Musica
Alta Ripa on MDG Records.

James Tyler's old recordings of Vivaldi with the English Consort on Archiv
are fingerstyle.

..And all the other recordings of which I'm aware of this repertoire,
mostly by players who also play modern mandolins--Ensemble Baschenis, Il
Giardino Armonico, Ahlert and Schwab, Orlandi, Frati, Duo Capriccioso,
Duetto Giacondo, etc.--use plectra.

The field is ripe for an aspiring young lutenist who doesn't fear the
soprano range...

Best,
Eugene