Technically, kg is a measure of mass, but it's a little easier to grasp than
tensions.  Simply speaking, when you draw a string to pitch, associating
something like "4 kg" to that string's tension means it is equivalent to the
amount of effort that would be required to hold a mass of 4 kg.  I'm happy
to receive refinements from those who know physics better than I.

Eugene