I remember when these came out, and have read all the comments to follow on
this thread.  I'm not entirely certain of the practical usefulness of this
product unless one would want to replace pegs on an existing instrument with
minimal modification to the instrument.

I seem to recall geared tuners becoming available on cittern kin in the mid
18th c.  The worm-gear arrangement typical to guitars was pretty commonplace
by the late 1820s.  Building lutes to accommodate guitar-style tuners would
make for a pretty easy modification of most commonly used lute plans and the
tuners in question, in most cases, could be had much more affordably.

The almost universal application of pegs to lutes seems to have come about
because 1) historic lutes were no longer in widespread use as geared tuners
proliferated and 2) when the early music movement resurrected lutes, geared
tuners were deliberately excluded to make deference to historic practices.

So, other than replacing pegs without the necessity to substantially modify
existing instruments, how are such tuners as applied to new instruments any
more useful than those already widely used and cheaply available?  Is the
appeal strictly in the rather superficial appearance of not being geared?

I am not at all opposed to geared tuners--using them on guitars from
original 19th-c. pieces to quite modern--but I don't understand the appeal
of so much expense on tuners simply for something that doesn't "look"
geared.  I'd just as soon deal with temperamental friction pegs.  After all,
many of us are willing to deal with the temperamental issues of at least
partial stringing in gut when more stable materials are more cheaply
available.

Devil's advocate,
Eugene