>> Coming Saturday I am to play for two hours during a dinner. The
>> request was for early-Baroque dance music, but I think that can be
>> interpreted as anything between 1500 and 1700 of a lively nature.

agreed, playford and broadside music should give you lots of variety.
There are some items intended to tweak the puritans long nose, "Unto the
Prophet Jonas I Read", and Watkins Ale itself (both on their Watkins Ale
CD) come to mind, but the full humor of each is only to be had witht he
text, so perhaps a written program is needed.

Dont limit yourself to lute tho, if you have an orpharion twould be better
than a lute methinks, if not, perhaps a cittern for some variety,
switching off with the lute.

>> I'll now walk to my music shelves and see with what sort of one-stop
>> solution I can come up with, but I'm sure some of you will be even
>> faster. ;-)

English Country Dance players rely on Peter Barnes edition _English
Country Dance Tunes_ which includes most, if not all, that Playford
published, and more (even some O Carolan).  PB has another out I notice, _
English Country Dance Tunes Volume Two_

I notice he has recorded witht he ROyal Scotish  Contry Dance Society, it
may be one can purchase his books in England, somewhat closer to you.

--
Dana Emery