Thanks to Ron and Howard for your help.
   The question is becoming more complicated: as far as I can work out,
   Campion published a "Traite d'accompagnement" (1716) and an "Addition
   au traite d'accompagnement" (1730). I think that the detailed
   descriptions of accompanying on theorbo, lute and guitar are in the
   latter. According to Nigel North's bibliography in "Continuo
   Playing...." the Campion in question was Francois, but in the more
   recent Fuzeau "Methodes & Traites Basse Continue" both works are
   attributed to Thomas (hence the whoops). So, in addition to helping me
   find a translation, can anyone tell me which Campion we're talking
   about?!
   Thanks again for your suggestions,
   Sam

   On 28 September 2010 17:24, howard posner <[1]howardpos...@ca.rr.com>
   wrote:

   On Sep 28, 2010, at 6:12 AM, Ron Andrico wrote:
   > There
   >   is a _Traite d'accompagnement_ by one Francois Campion (1716), and
   >   there is _The Art of Descant, or Composing Musick in Parts_ by
   Thomas
   >   Campion published by Playford (1674).  My guess is that you are
   seeking
   >   the former, which is (I think) available from Minkoff.

     The Minkoff is a facsimile with no English translation.  But there's
     very little text, and most of it is pretty obvious if you have any
     knowledge of continuo coming in.

   Sam Chapman
   Oetlingerstrasse 65
   4057 Basel