I also think the perception of a conductor/director of the theorbo in
ensemble is very different than that of audience because of proximity.
Plucked strings of any type in ensemble work great in chamber settings, even
with loudish things like bowed strings and winds, in part because the
audience tend to be closer in space to the performers.

Best,
Eugene