To: <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2010 5:25 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Orlando Gibbons

Yes- Earl of Salisbury's Pavan- which I think is also sometimes
attributed to Byrd. (Or Byrd wrote one of his own by that name?).

And dt mentions the "Italian ground"- which I also used to play off
the keyboard score some years ago; as I remember it fits on the lute
perfectly. A 9 or 10 course lute; or any archthing- anything with a
low "CC" makes a very satisfying vehicle for this piece. For some
other very good (with extant original intabs) check out Peter
Philips, "1589" Pavan, (Wickhambrook has my favorite version) and the
Chromatica Pavana and Galliard are outstanding. English lute Society
has an edition of Philip's lute versions.
Dan

Do you possibly remember which those transcriptions were Daniel?

G.