I use the Square knot, but I thinkA the Sheet Bend knot wiould be
   better.

   [1]http://www.woodburyscouts.org/troop480/images/knots.gif

   Bruno

   On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Anthony Hind
   <[2]agno3ph...@yahoo.com> wrote:

     A  Dear All
     A  A  A  A  A I may need to lengthen a string which does not quite
     reach the
     A  peg, but goes well beyond the nut. I would like to attach it to a
     A  slightly thinner short piece of gut to reach the peg in question.
     A  remember that Stephen Gottlieb had done that for several strings
     on my
     A  lute; but I can no longer remember the type of knot he used. Can
     anyone
     A  advise me, or tell me of a page where this knot is described.
     A  Regards
     A  Anthony
     A  --