From: Daniel Shoskes <dshos...@mac.com>
To: BAROQUE-LUTE <baroque-l...@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sun, Sep 12, 2010 8:37 am
Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Post French and Pre Weiss: what shall we call it?

Having spent much happy time on my 11 course lute playing the music of Reusner,
Conradi, Kellner, Weichenberger and St. Luc, it dawns on me that we don't
really
have a good descriptor for the period. It is after the French precieux and
Brise
styles (but has some elements), brings in more of a cantabile Italian
relationship between melody and bass line but doesn't go all the way to the
Gallant emphasis on melody (I am sure I have made many a musicologist cringe
with my oversimplifications here). Many recordings that include pieces from the
period are titled "German Baroque Lute Music", or something similar, but that
of
course doesn't give a fair geographic representation to the Czech, Silesian,
Swedish and Belgian composers. "Transitional" would be a good descriptive term
but alas has already been coapted by those funny tuning systems between
Renaissance and d minor.

Any ideas?

Danny