I concur with Howard on Japanese chisels, the lamination is sort of an analog of the Samurai sword - the cutting edge is softer so as to not be brittle and can be sharpened with a touch up, the body is hard to maintain form.

There is another advantage, the grooved back allows one to sharpen only the back of the chisel so one is bringing the "edge to the bevel". It does limit the life of the chisel, once one reaches the groove it is over - but that could take a very long time - and the alternative of taking metal from the bevel also cuts back the blade. It is not that they are made in Japan, it is the Japanese format - just as the Japanese format for hand saws is better. The "cut on the pull stroke" of the Japanese saws is much more accurate than our "cut on the push" as the blade doesn't bend on the cut stroke. The Japs say it is because of their belief in drawing the wood to their heart, I say it is just a better way to make an accurate cut. The Western "push saw" is more efficient for heavy cutting, you can put your weight into it, the Japanese "pull saw" is more accurate for precise cutting.

The same applies to the chisels, the Western solid steel chisel is a blunt instrument (no pun intended, or maybe a bit of one). The Japanese laminated chisel is a bit more subtle. One maintains the edge rather than sharpening it (I'm a woodturner, lots of complex gauges and chisels). A few strokes on the back with a small diamond hone (medium grade) and you have the edge back (only use the hone on the part that is flat, don't waste effort on the edges of the groove. I am familiar with Japan Woodworker, but I don't think they are an OEM - I've bought my Japanese chisels from Lee Valley - and I think they use the same source (and have found the Lee Valley prices to be better sometimes).

May I add that I do wood carving, and as such have some carving chisels. Again the Japanese format is best, and Lee Valley my supplier (they are about $7 apiece, these are small blades for close work). I suggest that all instrument makers among you look at the carving tools segments of the catalogs - Lee Valley and Woodcraft are the best for these. But for a combination of chisels and carving chisels I'd say Lee Valley has the best variety - and I can vouch for the company as to their service and backup. They are an OEM, they make the Veritas tools (all my planes), and a vendor of other tools. I'm not an advertiser for them, I don't buy any woodturning tools from them. But in the area of chisels, wood carving tools, planes and specialty planes I'd not buy elsewhere without first checking Lee Valley/Veritas. Their planes are "home designed", as are the Lie Nielson. The Lie Nielson are a bit more expensive, but both are expensive. I think they are equivalent.

Again may I emphasize that I don't represent Lee Valley (and, in fact haven't ordered from them for quite a while as my purchases have tended toward wood turning. I will only make this comment. When, some years ago, I wanted a left hand skew carving chisel not in their Japanese set they looked into it. They did a special order from the maker (OEM), and charged me the price for the standard. I like that. Nothing against Japan Woodworker, I've dealt with them once or twice - but did find some of their comparative prices a bit high compared to Lee Valley.

Best, Jon