To those of you following this neurotic obsessive probe down the
rabbit hole: I just put on the ancient 1.53 mm (physical diameter)
1st generation loaded gut on the low "D" position on my new Larson
lute. Perfect!  -matches the tone color of the 1.38 pistoy unison
6th, and the 1.45 (approx) gimped F-7 makes a perfect transition, or
match from the loaded gut D to the pistoys. The loaded gut does
indeed feel stiffer than the pistoys (gimp 7 feels in between- good
transition there too). While a higher tension 8ve course is
recommended by Anthony for correct feel/tone balance in his
applications, a lighter tension octave string on my lute balances the
tension of the course as a whole better with the 6th, plus the
quieter sound of a low tension octave makes less of a shock going to
a unison 6th. The loaded gut provides just that degree more clarity
needed for all the notes on this frequently fingered bass course than
the gimp. No buzzing that I can detect yet. Pretty good intonation;
in tune with its octave string.

Anthony- would you say that the newer loaded gut strings are more
alive, bright, and potentially more buzz inclined than the old ones?
-I wonder if I have a unique string.

Specs on the lute- string length 63 cm. pitched at a=415, 1/6 comma
meantone frets & tuning.

Dan