Hello, friends!

   I have a question for anybody out there that might have more experience
   with metal strings than I do.

   I'm struggling to set up a new chitarra battente, which arrived (as is
   the tradition) with the same thin steel string gauge across all 5
   courses.  So, the first course (e) is super tense, and the third course
   (g) is slack like spaghetti, and everything else is somewhere in
   between.  The problem is that the spaghetti courses go super sharp when
   fretted, so it's really hard to tune any chords (i.e., even E major has
   the G# on the first fret which is already screaming high).

   I put some brass strings (from my bandora case) on the G and A, and it
   really helped the tuning and got the instrument through its first
   concert.  However, all of the brass strings have broken, one by one.
   I'm really not sure why - the tension was not so high, and although the
   coils are pretty old I wouldn't have guessed age to make much
   difference in a metal string.

   Anyway, I'm wondering if anybody has experience trying to string a
   battente in a way that is more equal-tension-ish (like a lute or
   Baroque guitar) perhaps with harpsichord strings, and if so if they
   would share their stringing chart with me.  Any prompt help would be
   appreciated (the instrument needs to be playable by Sunday - in a pinch
   I will just put the spaghetti strings back on).

   Many thanks!!!!

   Best,

   Lucas Harris