>" I wonder whether the D'Addario string was titanium T2 nylon with purple
    haze?"

"Purple Haze"? If that is a special Jimi Hendrix Classical guitar
string, it seems like fusion gone totally amok.

No, this D'Addario string is just rectified nylon, which gives the
illusion of being more harmonically true; seeming to have less
extraneous noise, or perhaps less of the feeling of musical
"deadness" that I can't escape sensing from nylon strings, on even
the best lutes. It is still essentially a cold sound, wrong color:
"... tend to find them coldish sounding (bluish transistor-like),
particularly when a lutenist uses them with warm loaded basses
(reddish valve-like,)"

-Perfect description of nylon vs. the 2nd course gut on my lute. But
the brightness of the overall sound makes this tolerable- for now- to
my ears. Sometimes one puts up with a marginally acceptable sound
until cumulative annoyance makes them suddenly intolerable. I would
like to get some of the new Nylgut before this event occurs.

Dan