Dear David,

   A good reference source is JOHN WARD's  _Music for Elizabethan Lutes_
   (2 vols.), and one would surely start with PHILIP VAN WILDER, as early
   as 1525 a member of the King's Musick (ps: G. Crona cites the Lute
   Society edition**).  Ward has a list of works by Wilder on page 5-6.
   Many are in familiar, but later, lute manuscripts: Paston Lute Book
   (ii), Wickhambrook, Willoughby etc.. Most are attr. to "Phillip," and
   some may be by Peter Phillips, but Ward tries to separate them out.
   These include "Dumpe philli" and "Artheres dumpe" (Fink* Nos. 16 and
   17).

   RAPH BOWLE'S LUTE BOOK (London, BL, Stowe 389) includes "Kyng Henry the
   VIIIth Pavyn" (transc. Ex. 8 in vol. 2 of Ward).

   And what is surely one of the the most beautiful songs of the English
   16th century, "My hearte ys Leifd on the Londe" (Facs. with underlaid
   lyrics Plate 4 in vol. 1; melody Ex. 6a in vol. 2--Ward's underlaid
   lyrics could be improved).  Ward provides the complete lyrics in the
   Commentary, page 107.  If sung, this would provide the lutenist with
   lots of opportunity to improvise divisions for each of the eleven
   stanzas.

   London, BL, ROYAL APPENDIX 58, has several pieces of interest incl. the
   "Duke of Somersetes Dompe" (Fink No. 1).

   The most famous piece, lyrics presumably by Henry VIII, is "Pastyme
   with Good Company."  It uses a borrowed melody, known on the Continent
   as "De mon triste."

   Richafort's setting  is intabulated by Francesco, and as a fantasia by
   him and by Pierino Fiorentino (Ness, App. No. 32).  The melody turns up
   all over the  place, incl. as a Lutheran chorale (harmonized by JSB),
   etc., etc., and even in a songbook in the Huron Native American
   language (as Charlotte discovered in a term paper).

   I found it in an out of the way place, as a canzone titled "Pas de mi
   bon compagni" in Pre Melchiore de Barberiis's _Opera intitolata
   Contino_ (Venice, 1549), sig Ee3v. How'd it get there? Barberiis knew
   the papal secretary Bembo. So much Italian music flowed westward to the
   British Isles, but practically no English music found its way to  the
   Continent until the advent of Dowland and his contemporaries.

   *Michael Fink, ed., _Down in the Dompes: The Collected English Lute
   Dumps_ (LGV Publishing, Inc., 2008;

   [1]www.lgv-pub.com).  French tablature.

   **David Humphreys et al., eds., _Philip van Wilder: Music for Lute and
   Chanson Transcriptions._ 49 pp.
   [2]http://www.lutesoc.co.uk/pages/catalogue#c

   It's a start with a fascinating repertory, David.

   Arthur.