My experience was similar to Nancy's, but with UPS. They had no idea
   about the status of the instrument, it got stuck in customs, and the
   buyer got stuck with a huge tax bill for a bunch of things of which we
   were never made aware. It also arrived with a small amount of damage to
   a peg. I don't know about the US Postal Service (I'm in Canada), but
   I've always found Canada Post excellent for shipping such things.
   Efficient, cheap, and they know where thing are. UPS also vastly
   overcharged me for packaging, which was done with something less than
   skilled hands.
   FedEx might be the way to go, but I'd also see if the Postal Service
   offers a comparable service for a reasonable price.
   Best,
   Graham Freeman

   On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Nancy Carlin