I do not know of Mrs. Smith's musical activities.  However, I can tell you
about a similar event I coordinated in Columbus, OH this past weekend.  I
was very pleased with the turnout for Hoppy's concert and all the support
from Early Music, WOSU, the Columbus Dispatch, etc.  We had attendees from
as far away as Peabody in MD and Sarnia, Ontario.

Concert was Friday evening.  For a pre-concert talk (expected on the Early
Music series with whom we collaborated), Hoppy took Sanz's one-line
tarantella and discussed in lay terms (and demonstrating on his guitar) how
he elaborated the rasgueado patterns and concocted melodic figures over the
notated progression to arrive at a performance piece worth hearing.  I may
be biased, but his was one of the most entertaining talks I've ever heard on
that series.  The concert itself was good: guitar music by Sanz, Guerau, and
Santa Cruz.

The master class he gave on Saturday afternoon was the highlight of the
weekend for me.  It was both insightful and a near-overwhelming display of
the man's genius.  We also had four performers; they played Bach on modern
guitar, de Murcia and Bartolotti on 5-course guitars, and Piccinini on liuto
attiorbato.  There was also a piano handy in the chapel where the master
class was held.  To demonstrate phrasing and musical ideas, he would hop
between his own (5-course guitar) and participants' instruments and piano,
transposing by ear at the piano to accommodate different concert pitches and
play in tune with whatever participant's instrument was on deck, realizing
complex harmony on the fly.   Remarkable!  ...And he conveys all with an air
of sincere generosity and without me perceiving any arrogance.

I'm still reeling.

Eugene