Hi David,

   Can the sesquialtera be performed as triplets? In Spinacino there are 6
   notes in a bar (duple time).

   Thanks for the info.

   2011/4/9 David Tayler <[1]vidan...@sbcglobal.net>

     Sesqui means one and one half. So a sesquipedalian likes words that
     are a foot and a half long.
     In a sesquialtera proportion, you want, according to Morley
     '"three notes are sung to two of the same kinde'" and "Sesquitertia
     is when four notes are sung to three of the same kinde"
     And 3/2 is one and one half
     See also
     [2]http://www.freefictionbooks.org/books/s/20662-shakespeare-and-mus
     ic-by-edward-w-naylor?start=14
     Now, having said that, there are many exceptions. The direct
     mathematical proportion is contradicted in sources dating back to
     the
     time of Josquin;
     understandably, musicians wanted leeway in their proportions, and in
     Mass music proportions were varied to create musical effects.
     Towards the end of the renaissance you see a blurring of the
     proportions coinciding with an interest in the theme of
     transformation in music.
     But, basically, three notes are sung to two of the same kind, which
     means those notes will be faster.
     dt