That is sad news.  My wife and I met Ian in the 60s; he and John Isaacs made a
lute for us, which is now in the Shepherd School of Music at Rice University,
where I taught English for many years.  I lost touch with Ian after my
interests strayed away from the lute, but I remember him as a true gentleman
and scholar.
Ed Doughtie