Dear lute netters,

as some of you may know Robert Spencer (editor of the facsimile edition of the ML lute book) was puzzled by the f 1v which contains a list of 46 permutations of 8 notes and by the list of factorials on 56r.

Yesterday I noticed that Mersenne's

        HARMONICORVM LIBER PRIMVS

published in 1636 (I am afraid I even don't know if this is a Latin version of his famous Harmonie Universelle) contains:

* A complete list of all 24 permutations of 4 notes.

* A list of factorials from 1 to 64.

Note: 64! has 90 digits and this is probably the largest factorial calculated without computers.

By the way, a complete list of all permutations of 8 notes would require to write down 8! = 40320 permutations, which is beyond discussion.

Anyway, obviously the scribe computed 8! on f. 56r which probably is not a coincidence.

Wild speculation:

One of the scribes knew Mersenne's book.

Rainer adS