On 08/10/2011 07:54 PM, David van Ooijen wrote:

Hi, I've the same type of S&S theorbo, but in a 7+7 setup. Indeed it's a bit of searching for the right (5), 6 and 7th gutstringtype/diameter with the relative short 76 cm. I'm using only a loaded gut on the G (7th). This string behaves rather differently than the other strings when playing in an environment with changing humidity, but not very problematic. I'm using a slightly thinner b course 0.52 if I remember well. Another possibility is to setup the instrument in d minor, as a theorbo de pieces. Arto Wikla has experience with that. You'll need to learn again the BC chords however.

You can ask Aquila or Gamut directly, but it's part of the fun to experiment yourself. also to test different manufacturers, because the differences in sound are interesting too.
Taco

David

I play a S&S theorbo like yours: 76/140cm, build for me in 1988.
Current set-up is 6+8. First two strings re-entrant, tuned in a.
415/440 as required with the same set of strings. I've had all sorts
of tensions over the years, but this is what it is at the moment:
All-gut, obviously.
76cm
1 = a 0.62mm
2 = e 0.78mm
3 = b 0.58mm
4 = g 0.66mm
5 = d 0.88mm
6 = A 1.16mm
140mm
7 = G 0.74mm
8 = F 0.82mm
9 = E 0.86mm
10 = D 0.97mm
11 = C 1.09mm
12 = B1 1.14mm
13 = A1 1.28mm
14 = G1 1.44mm
(Or the nearest available diameter, of course.)
Strings 1 to 5 are plain gut by any maker. 6 is a bit of a bother, but
I'm reasonably happy with Aquila's loaded gut at the moment.
Strings 7 to 14 are Gamut Diapassons, the best I've played so far, but
fret gut will do if in trouble (still better than nylgut ;-).

I used to play it with a much higher string tension, but have gone
down over the years: less punch and more resonance, less metallic
sound and more warmth.

It would be nice to have the instrument in balance: top set in a
tension that is comparable to the diapassons. If you like the tension
of what you're having on the instrument now, just replace the top
seven strings. The carbon you can measure. There are lists around (or
ask this list) that translate carbon diameters to comparable gut
diameters. If you ever decide to change to a different tension, you'll
be able to reuse most of your diapassons by moving them up a place,
and just buy the missing one string. No need to replace good
diapasson, and some of these thick basses get better over time anyway.

On a side-note. I've noticed string makers tend to advice rather high
string tensions. Better ask a player. I'm sure the string makers know
best at what tension their strings give optimum performance, but I
think players tend to give a more informed, and more varied!, answer
to the question of ideal string tension for actual playing.

enjoy your new toy!

David